- History of Houjou-ji
About Houjouji Temple
|Honorific mountain name prefixed to a temple's name||
Soto sect (Zen sect)
Hokan Shaka Nyorai （Shakyamuni)
|The founder of the temple||
Kasai rokuro moshun, Buddhist name, Moshun soushi koji
Unknown (Tensei year, considered to be in the late 1500s)
When Lord Ieyasu Tokugawa came to the country to check to view, Lord Masanari Naruse who made great military exploits for the battle in Nagakute and Sekigahara accompanied him and further received Gyotoku area, received a fief yielding over 4,000 koku of rice in the Shimofusanokuni, Katsushika county, Kurihara.
Kurihara Hachika Villages (Hongo Village, Terauchi Village, Kosaku Village, Inuchi Village, Ogurihara Village, Futago Village, Yamanomura, Saikai Kamimura) became the territory at the discretion of Lord Ieyasu, and they defined Houjouji Temple as a family temple in the territory, changed the character of the castle to the character of Naru, and changed the character of the Hou to the Houjouji.
Houjouji Temple, which had almost the same atmosphere as a thatched hut, received Buddhist ritual vessels and Buddhist altar articles from Mr. Naruse in the third generation of this temple, in the 3rd generation the great Meishu Tayasu priest (in the middle of 1600s), and achieved the construction of the hall, and a specialized tradition sect dojo (training place) for promotion was built at the corner of the Soto Sect temple. The previous main hall was built by this temple's 13th generation, at the Suyama Daikyo priest (1789), Inuyama Castle 5th generation Castlemaster, and Naruse Masamoto.
- The founder of the temple
- XXV Revival
- XIII Revival
Successive Inuyama castle lord
白林院殿直指宗心大居士 成瀬 正成
乾龍院殿一岳宗無大居士 成瀬 正虎
栢貞院殿節功良忠大居士 成瀬 正親
随峯院殿實相轉幽大居士 成瀬 正幸
諦幻院殿泰翁宗峻大禪定門 成瀬 正泰
一珠院殿自得日慶大禪定門 成瀬 正典
舜徳院殿泰岳道寛大居士 成瀬 正壽
淳教院殿一貫以道大居士 成瀬 正住
興徳院殿髙節英嶽大居士 成瀬 正肥
About Kurihara feudal domain Mr. Naruse
Naruse Masanari was a member of Tokugawa Ieyasu's aides who continued military glory and was given Kishihara area 4,000 koku of rice when Ieyasu moved to Kanto in 1590. After that, Masanari had a military glory again even in the battle of Sekigahara, and he held positions such as border magistrate (sakai bugyo)and kokudaka (rice) was added to and lined up with Daimyo (feudal lord). When Ieyasu's son founded the Owari Tokugawa family, he was appointed as a guardian of the family and became the castellan of Owari Inuyama Castle in 1617. Masanari died in Edo in 1625 and was practiced Dabi (cremated) at Houjouji Temple in Kurihara Hongo and later re-buried in Nikko.
After Masanari's death, Inuyama Castle lord was succeeded by his eldest son, Masatora, but Masanari gave his second son Yukinari 4,000 koku of rice of Kurihara before his birth, so Yukinari became the second generation of Kurihara feudal domain. Since Yukinari died at the age of 39 in 1634, only 1 year old Yukitora took over. The Yukitora also disappeared at the age of 5 years in 1638 four years later, and the Kurihara domain caused the extinction of the Naruse family line. On the other hand, the Naruse family of Inuyama continued after that and became a viscount in the Meiji Period.
Since Houjouji Temple was considered to be the Naruse's family temple in Edo, the tombs of the family were maintained even after the Kurihara's feudal domain caused the extinction, and the tombstones until 1876 have been left.